Bourton-on-the-Water: 24 May 2013

It was a miserably cold day. The weather forecast was for rain.

"Don't let the weather forecast determine your sight-seeing plans," my friend advised.

It was a mistake!

My dad and I made our way to Bourton-on-the-Water, a small town in Cotswold, UK, reputed for their lovely buildings and gardens. We intended to visit the Birdland, a park and gardens containing over 500 birds, the Model Village, a one-ninth scale replica in local stone of the entire Bourton on the Water town, and to admire the houses there.

We took the train from London Paddington station to Moreton-in-Marsh and would have to take a bus from Moreton-in-Marsh to Bourton-on-the-Water. I had missed checking the bus schedule and wrongly assumed that the buses here ran as frequently as they do in London. We missed the bus and the next bus was in an hour's time. The wind was very strong and it was raining. We decided to find a restaurant to have lunch.
Train Schedule
Bus 801 Schedule

The town had only a handful of restaurants. The closest one was Martha's coffee house. The food was good. Service was slow though, much slower compared to London. I ordered a slice of coffee cake but was disappointed at how small it was :( I found myself angry at Martha for the disappointment - whoever she was.
Our lunch

What a small slice of coffee cake :((
9 degrees!
The temperature was 9 degrees. It was still raining and windy. We headed back to the bus stop. My umbrella was completely useless against the strong wind. I was glad it didn't break. We knew we weren't going to be able to visit the outdoor places. Seeing how affected I was by the cold, my dad suggested we head back to London. It almost became a wasted trip. But instead of heading back to London, we decided to take the bus to Bourton-on-the-Water to enjoy the scenery in the warmth of the bus.

The rain had stopped when we arrived at Bourton-on-the-Water. We shop-hopped the souvenir shops to minimise our exposure to the cold. We managed to buy a few souvenirs and get a few shots in the open. What you can't see though is my teeth chattering and my dad's hands shaking as removed his hands from his pockets to snap the pictures. It was a torture to remove my hands from my pockets.
It was very windy!
Ducks resting
Outside the Motoring Museum. My hands were freezing!

We spent an hour here. The weather persisted and so we took the bus back to Moreton-in-Marsh to catch the train back to London.